Monday, June 8, 2015

Kindergarten Tips Linky Party


Hello! Sharing Kindergarten is hosting a fantastic linky party for Kindergarten teachers and I am so excited to be participating! I just finished my third year teaching K and I am so excited to be able to share some of the great things I have learned and read some of the other great tips that these amazing teachers have shared. 


Number 1
It is so very important to remember that YOU are the teacher. I really struggled with this my first year and it really showed in the way that the students treated me and in the way that they acted. It is important to have a clear classroom management plan in place and make sure that each student understands what is expected of them at all times. They also have to know what is going to happen if they are not doing what they are supposed to be doing. 
Sometimes changes in a classroom management plan are necessary and that is understandable just try to change it as few times as possible to help cut down on added chaos. 


Number 2
In addition to making sure you are in charge of the classroom you also need your students to feel safe and comfortable in your classroom. Sometimes our students have never been in school before and that can be one of the challenges in Kindergarten. Just be kind to them and offer them whatever support they need to feel safe at school. Maybe they need an undivided minute of your time in the morning to talk or maybe they need a hug as soon as they walk in the door. Take the time to show them kindness and make them feel happy to be at school. 


Number 3
Every year I have taught I have added more choice into my students day. In my experience the kids are WAY more likely to stay on task if they have chosen the activity they are completing. The great thing is that I am usually giving them the choices so I can still have some control over what they are doing, they just don't realize it! Haha ;)


Number 4
Schedule, Schedule, Schedule 
I try really hard to keep our schedule the same from day to day, which is really hard! However, it really cuts down on kids wondering and asking the same thing a thousand times like when is lunch, when is recess, when do we go home, when is math tubs, when are we going to the science lab, when is library... and on and on and on! Hahaha! 
In all seriousness even a routine cannot stop these questions but it will prevent at least some of them. There are so many benefits to having a routine and sticking to it that I cannot list them all just take my word for it!


Don't forget to head over to SHARING KINDERGARTEN for more great Kindergarten Tips!

Mrs. Daleo

No comments:

Post a Comment